Private Tutor Services
Tutoring for Children with Learning Differences
I offer three official categories of tutoring services for children with learning differences, but in reality they often blend together. Many of my students have gaps in their knowledge that lead to both difficulty in class and lower standardized test scores. Students may be frustrated that their test prep isn’t leading to the gains it should, then explain to me that the topics they’re struggling with on the test are the same ones they had trouble with in math class last year.
Other tutors that focus specifically on test prep, or even just a specific part of test prep (an SAT English-only tutor, for example) might miss the underlying problems that cause these difficulties. If they teach strategies that address only the test, or only the next math homework assignment, they’re addressing the symptoms, but not the cause.
My full-spectrum approach to everything I tutor means I act as a mentor and a coach as often as I act as a subject matter expert. I aggressively pursue the academic areas that I think will get us the greatest effect in whatever we’re working on, and that often includes executive functioning skills, better note-taking, best practices for studying, and other important academic skills for children with learning differences.
This approach isn’t for everyone. Some student benefit greatly from this approach, but others just want to focus on the problem in front of them, and get anxious when we spend time on material they don’t feel is connected to the problem at hand. I totally get that, which is why I offer free consultations. We can get together, chat about the student’s academic performance, and see if we might be a good fit.
Every student walks away from the consultation with my suggestions for a long-term study plan and concrete next-action steps to get started. The family will also receive an email follow-up with my general thoughts about their academics and any clarity I think I can provide for them: why a certain topic is challenging and what to do about it.
Math - English - Computer Science - Social Studies - Test Prep
I have nearly a decade of experience in tutoring a range of subjects at the high school and college level (math through discrete math/linear algebra, the hard sciences, and Latin), plus five years tutoring standardized tests of all kind. Take a look at what I offer below and see if there is something that works for you. Just because something isn’t listed below doesn’t mean we can’t work something out. I am proud of the customized prep programs I am able to create for my students, so don’t hesitate to reach out if there is a particular offering or course format you are looking for.
Individual Test Prep
- College Entrance Exams, including the ACT and the SAT.
- Graduate School Entrance Exams, including the GRE, the GMAT, and the LSAT.
- Private School Entrance Exams, including the ISEE and the SSAT.
If you don’t see the test you’re prepping for here, that doesn’t mean I don’t tutor it! Please get in touch with me directly to inquire about tests or exams not listed here.
- Math through the undergraduate 300-level (including multivariable calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations)
- Computer science (including theory and mathematics, but also coding in C/C++, Java, Python, and more)
- Interdisciplinary humanities (including philosophy, creative writing, playwriting, history, and religious studies) and social sciences (including psychology and statistics)
Academic Support Group
- Weekly planning meetings with other students of the same age to talk about study skills, prioritizing for the week, and to celebrate academic successes.
- Four private homework help sessions (1h45m) that can be scheduled at any time during the membership month
- Access to a restricted online support forum (only available to current members and closely moderated by me) where students can post questions and get answers 24/7 from me and from other students.